“CAM” stands for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, which covers a whole host of different therapies used traditionally and in the community. There are a number of different formal definitions of CAM, as discussed in the slides below. In 2022 Ng et al developed an operational definition of complementary, alternative, and integrative medicine derived from a systematic search of peer-reviewed and quality-assessed resources, available here. They have also created a textword search string based on this operational definition for researcher use, available here.
- BMA (British Medical Association)., (1993). Complementary Medicine: New Approaches to Good Practice. UK: Oxford University Press.
- House of Lords, Select Committee on Science and Technology., (2000). Sixth report. Complementary and alternative medicine. London: House of Lords.
- NCCIH (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)., (2021). Complementary, Alternative, or Integrative Health: What’s In a Name? USA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Accessed at: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/complementary-alternative-or-integrative-health-whats-in-a-name
- Ng, J.Y., Dhawan, T., Dogadova, E., Taghi-Zada, Z., Vacca, A., Wieland, S.L., Moher, D. (2022) Operational definition of complementary, alternative, and integrative medicine derived from a systematic search. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies volume 22, Article number: 104
- Ng, J.Y., Dhawan, T., Dogadova, E., Taghi-Zada, Z., Vacca, A., Fajardo, R., Masood, HA., Patel, R., Sunderji, S., Wieland, L. S., Moher, D. (2022) A comprehensive search string informed by an operational definition of complementary, alternative, and integrative medicine for systematic bibliographic database search strategies. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies 22, Article number: 200
- Uehleke, B., Falkenberg, T., von Ammon, K., Lewith, G., Lazarus, A., Roberti di Sarsina, P., (2012). A pan-European research network for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. CAMbrella.
- WHO., (2000). General Guides for Methodologies on Research and Evaluation of Traditional Medicine. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Wieland, L.S., Manheimer, E., Berman, B.M., (2011). Development and classification of an operational definition of complementary and alternative medicine for the Cochrane Collaboration. Alternative therapies in health and medicine. 17.(2), 50.
- Zollman, C., Vickers, A., (1999). What is complementary medicine? BMJ. 319. (693).